If you’re at all familiar with Phillip and David Blond, otherwise known as design duo The Blonds, you know there isn’t a fashion house better suited to collaborate with the legendary empire of Playboy. Having designed costumery for the likes of Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj, you can imagine the sheer amount of sequins, crystals, and bright colors that were paramount in their creations. The last show of the season for many including myself, it was the perfect way to end New York Fashion Week with a bang! In true fashion of The Blonds, they presented to a packed house with a front row featuring a flurry of personalities from the LGBT party scene such as Amanda Lepore, along with an assortment of celebrities varying from figure-skater Johnny Weir to Bam Margera of Jackass fame. The attendee’s fashion shimmered and spirits were high!
The classic croons of Frank Sinatra’s “My Kind of Town” sounded as Phillipe Blond stormed the runway and opened the show in a sparkling Playboy bunny costume. The collection was a mix of takes on the classic, bow tied and black satin Playboy costumes of the 60′s and more “traditional” glamorously flashy , and leave little to the imagination, Playboy-inspired designs. All of the models had voluminously teased hair, cat eyes, and feet decked in sky-high crystalized Christian Louboutins. At the height of the show, all of the Playboy Bunny costumed models gathered at the beginning of the runway, kicking off the finale walk. As the show came to an end, more songs from Ol’ Blue Eyes played, thus creating the ultimate spectacle of fashion and music, for my New York Fashion Week to end on.
The runway music was curated by Wilson Chan, musically known as MRWILSONDJ, who in addition to starting and ending the show with Sinatra, threw in a bevy of exciting tracks. Have a listen!
RUNWAY TRACK LIST:
- “My Kind of Town” by Frank SInatra
- “All the Night (remix)” by Linda Law
- “French Kiss” by Lil Louis
- “Send Me an Angel ’88″ by Real Life
- “Dracula” by Basement Jaxx
- “Terrible Angels” by Charlotte Gainsbourg
- “Mondo Bizarro” by Ursula 1000
- “I Wanna Be Loved By You (Nicola Fasano & Melody J Mix)” by Marilyn Monroe Vs Steve Forest
- “Streetz Tonight” by Araabmusik
- “Why Don’t You Do Right?” by Amy Irving & Charles Fleischer
- “Overture: All the Way, My Kind of Town, You Will Be My Music (Play On)” by Frank Sinatra